The town jail in the 19th century was way out in the farmland of Winthrop Street. It was built in 1845 and served as the principal holding facility until the construction of the current Town Hall, which had detention cells in the basement. Rest of the entry to be written.
(On the 1880 atlas plate, note that on the opposite side of Winthrop Street, south of Bradford Street, is the property of B. H. Dyer. This is currently Dyer’s Barn, 9 Winthrop Street.)