When loosestrife paints the pastures purple and horses move languidly through the post-and-rail paddocks, there are few sights more evocative than Bayberry Hollow Farm, acres of open land owned by Martha (Alves) Roderick (pictured, in the middle, with her siblings Veronica, Kenny, Raymond, and Robert). This is where Joseph and Irene (Raymond) Alves ran the town’s last dairy farm, Galeforce. Joseph’s father, Frank Silva Alves, from Pico in the Azores, began the farm in the early 1900s. After his death in 1933, Joseph took over. He installed pasteurization in 1941 and increased his herd of Guernseys and Holsteins to three dozen, but couldn’t find cheap labor after the war. When 50 acres of feed were washed out by rain in 1952, he called it quits and went into the hospitality business.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.