On the edge of Watson’s Pond, named for the family that once owned an enormous tract of land in this part of town, the Shank Painter Common cottage colony seems to date from the 1950s or early ’60s. Jeff Knudsen, who bought a unit (pictured) in 2012 with his spouse, Michael Schwartz, has done some investigating. He spotted no evidence of the complex in a 1956 photograph, suggesting that the cottages may have gone up around 1960. A condominium trust was set up in 1982 by Marilyn and John Downey, onetime proprietors of the Shamrock Motel and Cottages at 49 Bradford.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.