Notable for its large front porch, this dwelling dates to 1905, according to the Provincetown Historic Survey. It was known as the Shady Oaks guest house in the mid-1970s, when it was owned by Hazel Morris. In 1986, John Barnett Jr. and Dr. Robert Coldren acquired the property from Morris. They renamed it the ShireMax Inn, after their Samoyeds. The two were partners nearly 20 years and husbands for six, when Barnett died in 2012. Dr. Coldren still owns the inn.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.