In 1952, when Phil Baiona’s Weathering Heights Club was pronounced a “huge success” by The Advocate, the selectman began what the paper called a “clamp down on gay spots.” The crusade to rid the town of homosexuals shadowed the flamboyant Baiona for 16 years. The setting was the barn of Joseph Silveira Steele’s Winthrop Farm. Seraphine Steele turned it into the Jockey Club. Edward Kelly, Alice King, and Al Jancik transformed it into Weathering Heights in 1949. Baiona (also spelled Bayon) took over two years later. His downfall was the opening of the nearby Methodist Church in 1960, when Weathering Heights was suddenly too close to a house of worship to receive a liquor license. Baiona sold out in 1968. A restaurant named Weathering Heights operated there through the 1980s. The barn was razed in 2001, but a ghostly sign endured (pictured).
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.