The Burches of Burch’s Market, which opened in 1904 at 467 Commercial, lived here. They were Clarence and Dorothy “Dolly” (MacKenzie) Burch, of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Like many homeowners, the Burches ran a side business for roomers, so No. 11 has a long history as a lodging. In recent years, it was the Black Pearl Inn, run in conjunction with 18 Pearl — both painted an eye-popping vermillion with white trim — by Guy Plourde and his husband, Luis Vargas. Plourde sold this property in 2013 and it was renamed the Atlantic Light Inn. It is run by Steven Benjamin and Joe Depippo, who have repainted it white since this picture was taken.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.