Capt. William W. “Billy” King (±1932-1976) of the F/V Patricia Marie and his wife, Patricia Marie King (b ±1934), bought this house in 1961 from Richard E. and Lorraine Adams. They lived here with their six children. The Patricia Marie was lost while scalloping off Pollock Rip on 24 October 1976. Captain King and six crew members, all Provincetown men, went down with her. It was the worst such catastrophe in the modern era, devastating this close-knit community. Almost no corner of town life was untouched by the absence of these men or the presence of their widows and their fatherless children.
According to the Long Point exhibit at the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum, this house originally stood on Long Point, as the home of William Mears. The property was acquired by Henry Rich, who conveyed it in 1863 to Nathaniel Freeman. Isaiah Whitney acquired it out of foreclosure and conveyed it in 1904 to Sarah E. Newcomb. Manuel and Sadie M. Patrick were the next owners. They sold it in 1945 to Philip S. Packett and Mary E. Packett, who conveyed it to the Adamses in 1949.
The Kings sold it in 1981 to Ronald F. Santucci. Their son Chris King is now the master of the Donna Marie and the head of Cape Tip Seafoods, 45A Court Street. • Map • Historic District Survey • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Updated 2013-07-21