On Miller Hill, Charles Hawthorne built a studio that looked like a barn. On Pearl Street, he made a studio out of a barn belonging to Josiah “Si” Young (who’d given Teddy Roosevelt a ride to the Monument). For Edwin Dickinson, who followed Hawthorne as a tenant, Young moved a gambrel-roofed cottage near the barn as a home for the artist’s sister. In 1939, Young sold the property to Henry Hensche, who ran his Cape School of Art here. (While Hawthorne’s widow was alive, he dared not call it the Cape Cod School.) Lois Griffel bought the school from Hensche in 1986, renamed it the Cape Cod School of Art, and ran it until 2003, when the building was condemned and her renovation plans were turned down. She sold it to Paul Richardson, who received approval from the Historic District Commission in 2006 to renovate the barn and cottage as a condo.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.