Those elegant double-P ligatures on the facade of the old aquarium downtown do not stand for Provincetown. They stand for Paige Brothers — Albert, Frank, John, Joseph and William — who operated the garage that preceded the aquarium that preceded the food court. The Paige Brothers also operated the popular “accommodation,” a popular, five-cent, open-air omnibus, seating about 25 people, that made its way up-along and down-along until the early 1950s. That this was a successful family seems clearly evident in this three-acre property, which is enormous by Provincetown standards. And as large as it appears to be from Pleasant Street, the estate just keeps sprawling northward; what you see is only the foreground acreage.
The two brothers most closely associated with this estate were Albert H. “Bert” Page (±1891-1950) and William H. Paige. Their father, John S. Page, was responsible for assembling the property in the late 19th and early 20th century, through acquisitions from Isaac Small, Annie W. Small and Walter Welsh. It passed from John and his wife, Christina S. Page, to Bert and William in 1911. (Mrs. Page was able only to make an “X” in lieu of a signature on the deed.) The two brother had begun offering a horse-drawn accommodation in 1910, then motorized it in 1915. Four years later, they opened the garage at 205-209 Commercial Street.
One or more of the Paiges must have watched Gone With the Wind and taken to heart Gerald O’Hara’s exhortation to Katie Scarlett, because this parcel remained in the family until 1999. It has belonged since 2004 to Dr. Hirshcel D. McGinnis. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-19