Expansion — not contraction — used to be the watchword in public education. Plans were prepared in the early 1950s for a large building to replace the antiquated Central, Western, and New Governor Bradford schools. (The Bradford school became the Community Center.) Veterans Memorial Elementary School, designed by Walter Gaffney, opened in 1955 and was dedicated by members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. Grace Gouveia was among the most beloved teachers here. In 2011, the kindergarten through sixth grades were moved to the high school building. Pre-kindergarten and infant child-care programs remained here, joined by the Recreation Commission, Council on Aging, and Department of Public Works. This is now the Veterans Memorial Community Center, having replaced the building at 44 Bradford Street a second time.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.