Round Barn (Hawthorne School of Art)
The Round Barn was among the several distinctive — “zany” might actually be a better adjective — out buildings scattered around the campus of the Hawthorne School of Art. The school was opened in 1994 at 25 Miller Hill Road, to which this lot was once joined, by the Pop artist Peter Gee (1932-2005) and his wife, Olga Opsahl-Gee (b 1945). She is seen at right adjusting one of the outdoor sculptures in 2008, the last year of the school’s existence. The structure itself was not a Provincetown native but was reportedly trucked here from New York State, where it had been built in the mid-19th century as an apple barn.
Eight-year-old Harry Gee and 12-year-old Odin Gee were among those responsible for its reconstruction and renovation at the school. The subdivision of the Hawthorne property in 2009 doomed the barn’s existence. It was replaced with two identical townhouses at 27 Miller Hill Road. ¶ Posted 2013-04-13