Morris Davidson (1898-1979) landed at Provincetown in 1919 to study with George Elmer Browne, then returned for his honeymoon in 1927. He and his wife, Anne, purchased Charles W. Hawthorne’s property in 1944, which then included the Class Studio at 25 Miller Hill Road and “an early 19th-century Cape Cod-style house that had been dragged up from the town center,” their granddaughter, Lucinda Rosenfeld, wrote. She added that the house was one of those that had been floated over on scows from Long Point. The Morris Davidson School of Modern Painting (later to be called the Morris Davidson School of Contemporary Painting) was open for business.
Davidson’s school wound down in the 1970s. The next breath of artistic life at the property came 15 years later with the arrival of Peter Gee (1932-2005) and his wife, Olga Opsahl-Gee (b 1945), who opened the Hawthorne School of Art. True to his status as a leading Pop artists, Gee painted much of the house in bright colors. Opsahl-Gee invited me in during her last full year at the house, in 2008, when ducks were underfoot in the garden and cats seemed to be perched everywhere else. The home had clearly fallen on hard times, but the imaginative spirit of the families who lived there was still evident.
She sold the place in 2009 to Daniel Kaizer and Adam Moss of New York City. Moss was the founding editor in 1988 of 7 Days magazine. In 1998, he was named editor of The New York Times Magazine and in 2003, he took over New York magazine as editor-in-chief. Having renovated the house, Kaizer and Moss purchased the Class Studio in 2012. Kaizer told The Banner that the purchase “would bring back together the two most important parts at the top of the hill — the barn studio, and the house where Hawthorne’s students lived each summer.” (Kaimi Rose Lum, “Change of Plan for Historic Hawthorne Barn in Provincetown,” The Provincetown Banner/Wicked Local, 26 August 2012.)
• Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-04-13