Always a fire house, this structure has been known by several designations since its construction in 1888: Steamer-Hose Company 3, Pumper Company No. 3, and Engine Company No. 4. It has been the home of at least two celebrated fire trucks: an Amoskeag steamer made by the Manchester Locomotive Works in 1889 and a pumper truck (pictured) made by American LaFrance in 1936. The pumper, designated Engine 4, was decommissioned in 1976 but has been painstakingly rebuilt in recent years by a team of firefighters including Paul Roderick, Anthony Quirk, Mike Foster, David Ainsworth, and Kevin Ainsworth. It is now a top star of any parade in which it appears.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.