Known even in the early 1940s as one of the oldest houses in Provincetown, 15 Franklin Street — shown above in a photo by Ross Moffett — was in the hands of the Brown family for 85 years, from the late 19th century to the early 20th century.
Joseph and Rosa (Carr) Brown were living here in ±1878 when their son Henry was born in the house. Henry, a fisherman in his youth, lived here for 78 of his 82 years. He died, unmarried, in 1960. The Advocate noted happily in 1941, with the arrival of infant Matthew Phillip Jason Jr., that a child had been born at 15 Franklin for the first time since Henry Brown’s arrival. The house burned down in 1972, according to the Provincetown History Preservation Project. The lot, now owned by Stephen L. Fletcher, serves as an ample side yard to 11 Franklin Street, which Fletcher also owns.
• Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-12-25