Quaint, Conwell Lumber ain’t. But it is very historical all the same. Its nature, size, evolution, and layout recall the period when Provincetown received its freight by railroad. In 1945, the Higgins Lumber Company moved here from its wharf at 337-341 Commercial. At this location, adjacent to the New Haven Railroad tracks, the company could receive long lengths of lumber without having to negotiate narrow streets. Higgins was the New Haven’s biggest freight customer in town. The property was purchased in 1975 by William Craig and renamed the Craig Lumber Company. He remained until 1985, when he sold it to Joseph McCabe and Frederick Sateriale, who sold in turn to Charles Rogers. The store is now an affiliate of the Ace Hardware co-operative.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.