We’re entering Roderick territory. This large family — Rodrigo in Portuguese — has many branches in town. The upper end of Conwell Street is dominated by a large tract of land that the family owns, stretching 500 feet along Route 6. This house, built in 1948, occupies the site of a six-stall horse barn. The property was purchased in 1914 by John Jason Roderick Jr., and passed in 1949 to his son, Charles Roderick, who owned a septic business. Roderick sold the property in 2003 to Rob Jason, who gave it the lovely name of Maryrose, honoring Charles’s wife, Mary, and his mother, Rose. The flag of Portugal hanging on the side of the house is Jason’s tribute to his Portuguese ancestry; lobstermen out of Cohasset and Scituate. He is also a Roderick; his great-grandparents were John and Mary Roderick, who came here from the Azores. More than 80 years ago, they lived at 25 Conwell.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.