This elegant Federal-style house with Greek Revival detailing, was constructed around 1840. It came to life again in 1977 when it was opened as the Asheton House by James Asheton Bayard and his partner, Les Schaufler. They used the distinctive urn finials on the fence posts as the emblem of the inn. Bayard had been an advertising executive, starting out after his service in the Navy during World War II at one of the most Mad Men of the Madison Avenue shops: Young & Rubicam. He purchased this property in 1977 from Helen McCaffrey, and operated it for the next 20 years.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.