With its deep front porch and austere Federal massing, this house from the early 19th century was the home of Walter Welsh, a justice of the Second District Court in Barnstable in the early 20th century. His rulings touched hundreds of Provincetown lives. He was also a founder of the local council of the Knights of Columbus, which was named in his honor after his death. Annie (Cook) Welsh, whose parents had come to the United States from São Jorge in the Azores, remained here until her death in 1947. The house was renovated by Scott Powell and Philip Scholl, who owned it from 2009 to 2012. They approached it “with polite restraint,” Susan Heeger wrote in This Old House magazine, “as one might a dignified aunt who’d fallen on hard times.”
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.