Here lived the family that put the Freeman in Freeman Street. The house, expressing the transition of Federal style into the Italianate, was built around 1850. It was home to Nathan and Mary Freeman. His great benefaction was the Freeman Building, 330 Commercial, built in 1873 as the home of the Public Library and other civic organizations. It rose at the foot of Freeman Street — essentially, in Freeman’s front yard. This was also the home of his son Nathan Freeman, a manufacturer. In the 20th century, it was owned by Ernest and Mary Tarvis until 1945, when it was bought by Agnes Medeiros and her husband, Joseph Medeiros, who arrived as an infant from São Miguel in the Azores. The house is now owned by Napi Van Dereck.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.