The Drop-In Center, a free, communal medical clinic and counseling office, lasted only a decade but saved many vulnerable lives. Its board included the Rev. Stephen Smith of the Methodist church; Patti Cozzi, a registered nurse; and David Schoolman, of Land’s End Inn. It opened at 146 Commercial in 1971 but soon moved into this house, built by Capt. Russell Knox Elliott in 1840 and passed down to Mabel Elliott Day, who bequeathed it to the town in 1949. The American Red Cross of Cape Cod opened it as a canteen in 1952 and turned it over to the Drop-In Center, over the selectmen’s opposition. Sadly, the ambitious program was financially unsustainable. Despite concerted efforts by Cozzi; the program coordinator, Jay Critchley; and many others, it closed in 1980. In the ‘90s, this was an inn, the Captain Russell Knox Elliott House, owned by John Drews, a prominent interior designer, and John Bygott.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.