Inn at Cook Street | 7 Cook Street Condominium
Another ornament on an especially lovely street, No. 7 was constructed around 1836. W. B. Lewis owned the property in the early 20th century, succeeded in time by Neil G. Nickerson, who also owned the abutting 5 Cook in the mid-50s. It was the home in the early 1980s of the fisherman Carlton Emond (b 1937). The current proprietors are Lisa Feistel and Doreen Birdsell, who followed Paul Church and Dana Mitton. Kim Grant had warm words in the Explorer’s Guide of 2003, saying that the four rooms and two suites were “all very tasteful and highly recommended. Pick your room based on its sleigh bed (Gable), how much sun it gets (the Hobbit suite is very bright), or its deck access.”
Birdsell (b 1951) and Feistel, who then lived in Westport, Conn., were guests of the Inn at Cook Street that year and so were enticed when it came up for sale. They said they “knew it was a fabulous property and a gracious home. We also knew that time, resources, and opportunity had presented themselves. We pulled up stakes in Westport and embraced our vision.” They bought the inn in October 2005. “Our mission now is to provide an environment for you as our guests that is fertile for dreaming dreams spawned from the inspiration of the Province Lands,” they say on their Web site. There is no longer a Gable room nor a Hobbit suite, but there are two cottages on the grounds that are available.
• Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, Kol Cottage • Historic District Survey, Studio Cottage • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 ¶ Posted 2012-11-17
It’s possible this house came from North Truro. The May 13, 1874, Advocate (page 2) states: “Capt. Hughes has moved his house from Truro and will erect it on Parallel street near the eastern school house.” In the 1886 resident directory, Capt. Sylvanus N. Hughes is a mariner with a house on Bradford, corner of Cook. He is also on the 1880 atlas as being at that location.
In the Barnstable County Registry of Deeds (book 118, page 133) on April 25, 1874, Sylvanus N. Hughes bought a tract or parcel of land for $300 from Henry Cook and other Cooks. After his death in 1901, his house was sold a year later to Jerusha A. Cobb, (book 260, page 181), who then sold it to Winifred S. Lewis (wife of William B. Lewis) in 1904. When Winifred sells it to George F. Miller Jr. in 1934 (book 504, pages 477-478), it is listed as 7 Cook Street.
As Denise Avallon presented, according to deeds from 1850 presented to us from previous owners acquired from Barnstable County Records,the original House was built on the site of 7 Cook Street and 203 Bradford in 1836 by Sylvanus and Henry Cook and other Cook family members. the Cooks were owners of the H&S Cook Company, Wharf 88.
These five Cook Family members are in the census from that time as being at that location.
It has been passed down from the Lewis family that the addition to the house, a house floated down from Truro was added on in around 1870.
It has been passed down through documents from the Lewis family that Edward Hopper, Jackson Pollack, and Tennessee Williams were frequent visitors when it was a residents.
As stated in previous articles Michael Cunningham, the author of ” The Hours” wrote parts of his first novel in the space known now as the “Writer’s Room”.
John Jay Wooldridge and Patrick J Flaherty purchased the “Inn at Cook Street” in February of 2014 from Doreen Birdsell and Lisa Fiestel and continue to run it as a Guest House. In August of 2014 they came over the hill on Bradford Street and found the Inn. They knew this beautiful piece of property was the one they had been looking and are proud to carry on as the caretakers of this Historical Home.