When this house was offered for sale in 2008, a classified advertisement in The Banner stated intriguingly that it “had been in the same family since the 1860s,” that it was built in the early 19th century and that it had “all the amenities that one would expect in an old farmhouse including a circular cellar.” One can, indeed, easily trace some of that provenance. The 1880 Barnstable County atlas shows the property as belonging to a J. Connelly, presumably John Connelly, whose wife was Anne Connelly.
They had at least two children: Ann “Annie” Connelly (±1867-1958) and James M. Connelly (±1868-1943). Annie, a president of the American Legion Auxiliary who lived at 8 Conwell, married Alfred Bennett. They had three daughters: Agnes Mary Genevieve Bennett, Dorothy (Bennett) Fitzsimmons and Ruth (Bennett) Reeves. In 1976, Agnes and Dorothy conveyed the property to Mary Rita Carroll and Lillian M. Connelly — presumably family. The last family member to own 8 Conwell seems to have been James J. Carroll, who sold it in 2008. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-04