11 Conant Condominium
Manuel “Ti Manuel” Furtado (±1880-1945), the proprietor of Furtado’s Boatyard at 99 Commercial Street, was the father of the 20th-century boatbuilding business in Provincetown. Men trained in his shop went on to establish Flyer’s Boatyard and the Taves Boatyard. Born in São Miguel, Furtado arrived in town in 1898 and about 20 years later established a business at the base of Union Wharf that came to be known for its well-crafted light boats. This building, from the 1880s-1890s (according to the Historic District Survey), was Ti Manuel’s home. Its massing and fenestration bear a striking resemblance to the houses at 7 Conant and 9 Conant.
This was subsequently the home of Capt. Armand Gill (b ±1900), a fisherman whose dragger, the Winifred S, was seriously damaged in the fierce winter storm of 1940 that took down the Wharf Players Theater at 83 Commercial Street.
The building is now a three-unit condo.