“It was a real Portuguese neighborhood,” Miriam (Martin) Collinson (pictured) wrote in the 2010 Portuguese Festival booklet. “Many families had members of different generations living together.” That was true at No. 23, which was purchased in 1903 for $700 by her grandparents, Manuel and Amelia (Rego) Martin (pictured), who’d come from São Miguel in the Azores. Amelia was known for beautiful lacework, quilts, and rugs. Their son Raymond, Miriam’s father, was born in this house. He married Rose Rombeiro Enos, who joined her in-laws here, where a midwife delivered Miriam in 1942. The Martins vacated their best rooms in summer and rented them out as Martin’s Homestead. Miriam and her husband, Robert Collinson, later ran the Dune’s Edge Campground.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.