For seven decades, beginning in 1943, the Roderick and Colligan families have owned this home; the second in a remarkably cohesive row that begins with 7 Conant. The building was constructed around 1850, according to the Historic District Survey. Arthur J. Roderick (±1906-1967) and Mary P. (Bent) Roderick (±1906-2009) bought the property in 1943, and it passed to their daughter, Yvonne (Roderick) Colligan. Roderick was a trap fisherman for his entire working life, which ended suddenly early one Sunday afternon in November 1967 when he collapsed in a dory while repairing nets in a weir trap in the harbor. He was taken back to his boat, the renowned Charlotte G., which returned him to MacMillan Pier, where Dr. Daniel H. Hiebert pronounced him dead.
His parents were Virginia and John Roderick; hers were Joseph and Marianna (Cabral) Bent. “Mary P,” as she was known, lived to be 103 years old, having survived her sons Ronald Roderick and Irving R. Roderick (±1929-2002), a lobsterman.