Enumerated by Henry David Thoreau in Cape Cod, this building was the Eastern School until 1931; the Community Center; the Servicemen’s Center in World War II; Morris-Light Post No. 71 of the American Legion; Leo Manso and Victor Candell’s Provincetown Workshop; and, from 1976, the Long Point Gallery, an important co-operative, and Rising Tide Gallery. In 1998, Howard “David” Davis III turned the building into the Schoolhouse Center. Binder Boland Associates recreated the missing bell tower. Lower Cape Communications bought the building in 2003 for radio station WOMR-FM, the subject of Outermost Radio the Film. Pictured in the studio is Ira Wood. WOMR shares the building with Mike Carroll’s Schoolhouse Gallery and ArtStrand, owned by a group of artists and directed by Grace Hopkins.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.