Engine Company No. 5, which is housed here, is the first responding unit to fires in the East End, from Howland Street to the Truro town line. It was at one time summoned by five blasts on a siren atop Town Hall. The house was built in 1870 and has been known over the years by several designations, including Hose Company No. 1, Pumper Company No. 4, and Pumper Company No. 5. The latter change, from No. 4 to No. 5, occurred in 1957, when Arthur Silva was the captain. Silva — standing third from the right, in a white shirt — was the town harbormaster and wharfinger at the time of his death. He had also been the town sealer of weights and measures, a fisherman, and a car salesman.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.