Still very much in Whorf territory, this lovely full Cape bears a plaque saying it was built in 1796, and that seems a reasonable claim. By the mid-19th century, the property was owned by Thomas Whorf. The artist Charles Kaeselau made his home here with his wife, Marguerite. His gallery at one time was at 284 Commercial and his work hangs at the Seamen’s Bank. Bart Wirtz, a Dutch cellist who was among the founding musicians of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, also made his summer home here. The artist Elisabeth Pearl now owns the house, with Sandra Lee Smith.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.