Historically speaking, the tail wags the dog in this fusion of two houses. The “dog” is the big house at No. 580, which has the entrance fanlight shown above. The “tail” is the smaller ell at No. 582, which the Provincetown Historic Survey dates to the early 19th century, noting that it is “100 years older than the main house.” The artist George Yater and his wife, the artist and poet Shirley (Pell) Yater, lived here in the early 1960s. They met in their 20s when they were both studying with Henry Hensche. Provincetown’s over-priced market drove them to Truro. In 1964. This was also the home of Ted Robinson, a journalist who wrote the definitive history of the Beachcombers in 1947.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.