“Patience and time do more than strength and passion.” Jean de la Fontaine’s aphorism is the motto of Suzanne’s Garden. It occupies a fraction of the old Sears estate, a “great lot” running from harbor to ocean. It was purchased in 1959 by Avrom “Arlie” Sinaiko, a doctor and a sculptor, and his wife, Suzanne Sinaiko (pictured), who transformed a vegetable patch into a flower garden after concluding that she could get vegetables at the A&P. They are buried in Town Cemetery (pictured). “Perhaps because she was an artist who loved people and believed in their inherent goodness, she never put a gate on the garden,” her son, Jonathan recalled, “so it was open to whomever wished to enjoy it.” In 2008, Jonathan proposed selling the 5,600-square-foot garden to the town as open space. It opened in 2009. Not that it was ever closed.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.