Capt. David Atkins of the U.S. Life-Saving Service, who perished in 1880 attempting to rescue crew members of the foundering sloop C. E. Trumbull, is buried in the old Gifford Cemetery below a monument with a fouled anchor. His daughters, Mary Emma and Anna, who lived here, were credited by The Advocate with making the East End popular because they “most hospitably cared for a growing number of summer visitors, making life for them so attractive that many became annual visitors, and some eventually permanent residents.” Among them was Virginia Wild of Washington, who bought this property from the Atkins family in 1946. It’s still in family hands, having passed through her daughter Mary and son-in-law Robert Smyers to Barbara (Smyers) Flanders and her husband, Bob Flanders.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.