Wild Hearts |
The out-of-control storefronts at 244 Commercial Street conceal one of the older buildings in town: a full Cape built around 1770. Like 234 Commercial Street, this building once had an ell extending to the sidewalk line that was at one time the Provincetown Gallery and Frame Makers. The current tenants include the Wild Hearts, which sells sex toys and accessories for women; and Mystik Moon, which specializes, as the name suggests, in the occult.
This was once Heinrich Pfeiffer’s house and art store. Kurt Robert Ruckstuhl and Sidney W. Bamford bought the building from Pfeiffer’s widow, Daisy, in 1958 and opened the Old Village Store — the first in what would become a group of gift shops run by Ruckstuhl and his wife, Irma, who also wrote Old Provincetown in Early Photographs.