For a time, this late-19th-century building seems to have served as an annex to the Town Crier Shop, whose principal space was next door, at 265-267 Commercial Street. In the early 1950s, this was Christine’s Luncheonette, named for Christine M. (Souza) Silva (1913-2008), who owned the business with her husband, Anthony Silva (d 1968). Mrs. Silva was a native of Portugal and a 1931 graduate of Provincetown High School. The Silvas also owned the Cape Cod Garage, the Monument Fish Company and Cabral’s Market. (“Christine M. Silva, 94,” The Banner/Wicked Local, 22 May 2008.)
Harold W. (Bill) MacFarlane, a former police officer, purchased the business from the Silvas in 1955 and transformed it into the Viking Restaurant. (It’s worth reminding those not familiar with Provincetown lore that the first European delegation to arrive on the cape end are popularly believed to have been Vikings, so the restaurant’s name isn’t as incongruous in New England as it might first. See the Norse Wall House, 7 Cottage Street.) The first cook at the Viking was MacFarlane’s mother, [Mrs. Joseph] Decosta, who doubled as chef at the Harbor Lunch, 279 Commercial Street. The place changed hands with some frequency in recent years, spending time as Twomey’s, the Landmark Restaurant, and the Caribbean Corner Cafe. Beginning in 2011, it was a Mexican restaurant called El Mundo.