Lotus Guest House | Body Body
A two-and-a-half story shingled commercial structure, with a prominent polygonal corner turret, that was built around 1900 in Queen Anne style. This building would be best remembered by old-timers — real old-timers — as the Cutler Pharmacy. An early use of the word “gay” as a synonym for homosexual can be found in a 1951 anecdote told by “Bossy” McGady in his uninhibited newspaper column: “A ‘Gay Boy’ dashes into Cutler’s, in an awful tizzy, forgot the new eye brow pencil ‘it’ had just purchased.” (“Up Along and Down Along, The Advocate, 16 August 1951.) In the 1970s, this was a restaurant known as Mother Marion’s. It is currently the Lotus Guest House, owned and run by Jeff and Gurli Lovinger. They are also the proprietors of the Lovinger Gallery at 427 Commercial Street.
The ground floor space is occupied by Body Body, a high-end men’s clothing store owned and operated by Richard Treat, who bought the business in 1991. Edge describes it as “the largest men’s clothing store in town” and notes that it is stocked with “fashions, underwear, bathing suits and accessories from a wide range of quality labels.” Body Body used to occupy a much higher-profile storefront at 315 Commercial, right on Lopes Square, and formerly had a shoe store called Body Body Sole, at 301 Commercial Street.