Though Lands End Marine Supply is strongly identified with the east end of downtown, this was its birthplace in 1940 — founded by Joseph Macara — and was its home for four years. Years before that, this building was Silva’s Fish Market, which can be seen in the 1920 picture with the chamfer-cornered entrance that’s still there. After Lands End moved out, the building was home in the early 1960s to the Wreck Club, run by Manuel Souza. Since the 1970s, this has been the Post Office Café & Cabaret, one of the busiest nightclubs in town. It does not get its name from having once been the Provincetown post office. Rather, its first-floor décor (pictured) came from a former post office in Ossining, N.Y. The owner is Phyllis Schlosberg.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.