The Edwards family has run the Governor Bradford and its predecessors since the 1940s. The bar, No. 312, was the Sweet Shoppe and, from 1932 to 1958, a First National Stores (Finast) market. The dining room, No. 314, was Marshall’s Restaurant and Sea Grill, then Silva’s Sandwich Shop, run by John “Chef” Edwards. His son, Donald V. “The Gov” Edwards, opened Chef’s Restaurant in 1959, renaming it Governor Bradford in 1960. He built a replica sloop bow at the entrance and a companionway down to the Fo’cs’le, the basement bar. His son, Donald Ray Edwards, is now in command. There is a terrific collection of artifacts, a mural by James Wingate Parr, and a performance space in what was once an areaway between Nos. 312 and 314. Long-time employees include Roberta “Bubbles” (Sawyer) McKay and Matthew Mayfield.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.