With No. 309, this building forms a gateway for those arriving on the Boston boats. In the 1880s, this was the Post Office. An A&P market opened in 1935 that remained until 1958. Its Colonial Revival facade, since altered, won praise from the artist Richard Miller. Other tenants have included Astronaut Bar-B-Que & Sandwich Shop, Bodybody, The Cape Cod Times, Caramel Corner, Casa Cafe, Center Barber Shop, Coffee Pot, Equipped, Hideaway Club, Hopkins Cleansers, La Boutique, Lily Pond, Loco Lindsays, Pronto Restaurant, Red Shack, Starving Artists’ Studio, Tatiana’s, and Zareh Leather. At the end is the Enos family’s Surf Club, home of the Provincetown Jug & Marching Band, part of a triumvirate of the Old Colony Tap, also owned by the family of “Lenny Blue” Enos, and the Governor Bradford. (In these joints, by the way, you’d never hear a word like “triumvirate.”)
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.