Gail Browne Gallery | Sparks
Though considerably altered, the old house at 364 Commercial Street, with its cross-gabled roof, is still recognizable in outline as the central structure in Arthur V. Diehl’s lovely painting Provincetown (1913), in the collection of Helen and Napi Van Dereck — who also own this property and the adjacent No. 362. Tenants in recent years have included the Sparks jewelry store, a massage parlor called Healing Work, La Spiaggia (the beach, in Italian) and the Gail Browne Gallery.
Browne (b 1947) is an artist who came to Provincetown to study color with Henry Hensche and then settled here full-time in 1970, after graduating from the Cleveland Institute of Art. Her linoleum prints of pile fields are rooted firmly in the town’s artistic tradition and the works of some of the town’s best-known artists are shown at her gallery. She also leads painting workshops in southern Italy. Her daughter Katherine Browne is a poet.