Knowles’s Wharf, built by Stephen Cook but renamed for his nephew, George Knowles, was home of a renowned fishing fleet, including the schooner Carrie D. Knowles; served as the first home of the Beachcombers; and harbored the Casino, one of the earliest semi-fancy nightspots in town (pictured). The Casino was destroyed in 1926 by the storm-tossed U.S.C.G. Morrill. In the 1930s, nightlife returned, at the Lobster House and Beach Terrace Sand-Bar, run by Eric and Maida Huneker and Joe Lazarovichi. The property was purchased by Thomas Francis in 1948, known as the Bull Ring Apartments by the early 1950s and as Bull Ring Wharf by the early ’60s. It was owned for a time by Munro “Mun” Moore, a founder of the Fine Arts Work Center.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.