This striking double-bay house, which can easily be picked out of photographs taken of the near East End wharves at the turn of the century, has accommodated visitors for more than a half century. Capt. Arthur Duarte (±1902-2002) and his wife, Mary (Flores) Duarte, ran it in the 1950s and early 60s as the Casa Dominho, which was perhaps a contraction of the name of Domingos Godinho, who once lived here. Duarte, a native of Lisbon, was the owner and captain of several fishing vessels from the 1930s through the 1960s, including the Serafina (sometimes spelled Seraphina), the Yankee, and the Skipper. He lived to be 100. (“Arthur Duarte, 100,” The Banner, 2 January 2003.)
The Duartes sold the property in 1963 to Frank J. Hurst Jr. (±1916-2001), who had been a partner of Reginald Cabral in the Atlantic House. He renamed the place the Hurst House. Frank Hurst’s son, Crayne, sold the property in 2006 to Ramona “Mona” Anderson and Dianna Cavalieri, who renovated the building in 2007 and renamed it the 384 House. They offer four rooms and two apartments to visitors. Anderson is also the proprietor of the Esmond-Wright Gallery on the parlor floor. In the late 1980s, this space was rented to the Cat House, a gift store for cat fanciers.