“The Sun belongs to everyone,” the poet Dominic “Val” Falcone declared in 1955 when he and Yvonne Andersen, a student of Hans Hofmann, opened the innovative Sun Gallery, in part to counteract what they saw as the exclusionary Provincetown Art Association (which would devote an exhibition to the Sun in 1981). One of their artists was Charles Grooms, whose hair color inspired Falcone to nickname him “Red.” Bill Barrell took over in 1960 and fought a censorship battle with the chief of police over monotypes by Tony Vevers that showed pubic hair. Pubic hair! No. 393 is an important place in the story of black artists in town as the shop of the jeweler Earle Pilgrim in the early ’50s. In 1996, Hunter O’Hanian and Jeffry George Cismoski opened Utilities, an imaginative housewares store that reflected the town’s stylish new domestication. They sold it to Dennis Lemenager in 2003.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.