This monumental temple-front Greek Revival-style structure, which would not look wholly out of place in Charleston or Savannah, was in the hands of Capt. John Cook by 1880. It remained in the family until the death in 1948 of the captain’s daughter, Elizabeth Cook, who’d lived in the house all her life. William Griffin of Georgia bought it in 1950 and opened it as the Southern Mansion restaurant. Paul Bellardo and Hal Whitsitt leased it in 1962 for their Galleria di Bellardo. Beginning in 1972, it was the Landmark Restaurant. At some point, the second-story balcony was removed. In 1998, John Guerra and Jay Coburn reopened the place as Chester, named for their Airedale. Subsequent tenants have been Bistro 404, Dalla Cucina, and Ristorante Marissa.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.