The Mews Restaurant and Café has, for many years, been one of the town’s grown-up restaurants. Opened in 1961 by Nicholas “Nicky” Wells and Ray Martan Wells at 359 Commercial, it’s been here since 1993. The general manager is Ron Robin. The site has been a haven of hospitality for nearly 80 years. Lucille (Crawley) Donahue’s Everbreeze Club (or Everbreeze Restaurant), which operated here from 1935 to 1980, was in early days a self-contained little summer resort. Franco’s by the Sea was one of the next incarnations of this waterfront space, beginning in the late ’80s and running through the early ’90s. The upstairs nightclub was called Tallulah’s Bar. Panels of ornate woodwork at the Mews are from the Prudential Building of 1892 in Newark (top). The nude out front is by James Tyler.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.