Imagine this house lemon yellow. Imagine customers like Robert Motherwell and Hans Hofmann. This was the Studio Shop, established in 1955 by Laura Easley and later run by Jim Forsberg, who designed its palette-shaped logo. It was where artists found the supplies they needed in town. “Thanks to Forsberg’s thriftiness, the shop had a look all of its own,” Peter Manso wrote in Ptown, “with shelves made out of old, warped stretchers and woodwork in a variety of colors as the painter-owner used up unsold tubes of paint. There was an amazing inventory for such a small store, and Forsberg would extend credit to artists who couldn’t pay. Everybody went to the Studio Shop.” The store lasted into the early 1990s.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.