A plaque on the building notes that it was once the whale oil refinery of David Stull, the Ambergris King, who lived at 472 Commercial. The quarterboard (a replica, according to George Bryant) recalls Montezuma, a whaler commissioned in the 1850s. The storefront space was the East End Market and the Little Radio Shop in the 1930s, the shop of the silversmith Jules Brenner from 1956 to 1966, and the Boat House Gallery in the mid-2000s. It is now Julie Heller East, sibling to Heller’s well-respected gallery downtown.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.