Long before Angel Foods Market opened, customers came here for provisions. In the 19th century, they were ships’ crews, for this was the chandlery of E. & E. K. Cook & Company — the Cook brothers’ mighty whaling and fishing empire. Clarence Burch opened Burch’s Market here in 1904. His nephew (through marriage), Duncan Bryant, husband of Marie-Louise Kopp and father of George Bryant, bought out the Burches and renamed it Bryant’s Market in 1945. For more than a decade, it has been Angel Foods, run by Elizabeth Lovati, furnishing staples and temptations. Out back is George Bryant’s uncompleted replica of a salt works. What Bryant managed to build in the 1970s — and what still stands today — is the bottom half of a windmill, a critical part of the salt-making process. These machines harnessed wind power to pump water from the harbor, through pipes of hollowed-out logs, into large evaporation vats.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.