Ralph S. Carpenter, the developer of Delft Haven (at 7 Commercial Street and 10 Commercial Street), overlooked the cottage colony from his own ample house at 11 Commercial Street, which was built around 1880. His quest for tidiness seemed to extend to his views on morality.
Carpenter became a Selectman in 1952. That year, he co-signed — with Frank H. Barnett, the chairman, and William A. White, the clerk — “An Appeal to All Decent People in the Town of Provincetown,” saying the town was “at this moment overrun with a throng of men described by Archbishop Cushing as ‘the lowest form of animal life.’”
“Help stamp out” the “degrading and soul destroying influence” of homosexuals, they wrote. “Let us not permit our town to become a Sodom or Gomorrah.”