An ample yard and rooftop lantern, from which ships could be spotted on the Back Shore, distinguish this Italianate-style home, built around 1830 by Capt. Joseph Atkins, whose Central Wharf stood opposite. The property passed to his son, William Atkins, who made a fortune in whaling. He married Jane Freeman Grozier, whose nephew, Edwin Atkins Grozier, owned The Boston Post, with his wife, Alice. (The newspaper closed in 1956, but the Boston Post Cane is still awarded to the town’s oldest resident.) This was the Groziers’ home, which they ornamented by creating the private Grozier Park across the street. The local legend Reginald “Reggie” Cabral — fisherman’s son, proprietor of the A-House, art collector, philanthropist, and town historian — moved into the house in 1963 with his wife, Meara. He died in 1996. Their daughter, Jennifer, lives here with her partner, Ian Leahy.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.