One of the best mansard roofs in town almost overshadows the Second Empire-style house beneath, which has been the White Wind Inn more than four decades. Richard White — described by the innkeeper Len Paoletti as a moving force in the town’s growth as a gay resort — bought the property with Richard Tonne IV in 1968. They sold to Sandra Rich in 1973, who sold in 1998 to Michael Valenti and Rob Tosner. A remarkable feature of the site is a stone wall constructed of ballast from sailing ships. It can clearly be seen in a 1908 photo of the fire across Winthrop Street at the Centenary Church. The Wilfred Beauty Studio and Mayflower Barber Shop did business here. It was known as Casa Vistosa in the mid-’50s. Outside is a small octagonal pavilion that has housed Ptown Spin, Glass Gazebo, and Coffey Men, among others.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.