Built in 1922 as a Ford showroom, this is an art colony landmark. In 1949, the poet and artist Weldon Kees organized the avant-garde Forum 49 symposium in this space, then called Gallery 200. Seven hundred people came to hear Hans Hofmann, Adolph Gottlieb, Serge Chermayeff, and George Biddle. Art was shown by Hofmann, Jackson Pollock, Fritz Bultman, Oliver Chaffee, Perle Fine, Karl Knaths, Robert Motherwell, E. Ambrose Webster, and Agnes Weinrich. Later tenants included the jeweler Henry Stieg, The Advocate, Provincetown Printery, Don’t Panic, and Southstream Design. Kiehl’s-Provincetown, a branch of the New York apothecary, opened in 2014. Toys of Eros, in business since 1993, is in the abutting garage.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.